A message is circulating with the title “Some abbreviations which are not known to many of us”. It provides the following list:
- NEWS: NORTH, EAST, WEST, SOUTH (Academic & Science » Geology)
- CHESS: Chariot, Horse, Elephant, SoldierS *
- COLD: Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (Medical » Physiology)
- JOKE: Joy of Kids Entertainment *
- AIM: Ambition In Mind *
- DATE: Day And Time Evolution *
- EAT: Energy And Taste *
- TEA: Taste And Energy Admitted *
- PEN: Power Enriched in Nib *
- SMILE: Sweet Memories In Lip Expression *
- BYE: Be with You Every-time *
I did some digging to see if these are valid abbreviations. Turns out that the items marked with an asterisk were not authenticated by http://www.abbreviations.com/ and http://www.all-acronyms.com . In other words, only 2 “abbreviations” checked out. I’d love to know the origin of the rest of these abbreviations.
Moral: Don’t get easily “impressed” or “fascinated” by the stuff you read on the internet.