Security Report About Deadly Attack May Have Forced Jonathan To Cancel Chibok Visit; Boko Haram Bombs Bama

A close aide to President Goodluck Jonathan has told SaharaReporters that the president shelved his plan to visit the beleagueredtown of Chibok in Borno State after security agents received intelligence that the extremist Islamist group, Boko Haram, might attempt to kill the Nigerian leader.
Chibok is the town in Nigerian northeast that has been at the center of global media attention after the April 15 abduction of close to 300 teenage schoolgirls by Boko Haram insurgents.
President Jonathan has come under local and international fire for his lackadaisical response to the abduction. A day after the abductions, the Nigerian army misled the world by claiming that most of the kidnapped girls had been rescued. Mr. Jonathan did not speak on the issue for more than two weeks, and reports have emerged that he rejected several offers for help from the US and a few European nations.
Mr. Jonathan was scheduled to visit Chibok yesterday in order to meet with distraught parents of the still missing girls, but suddenly cancelled the visit.
“We received credible information that there would be an attempt to assassinate the president,” an aide of the president told SaharaReporters on condition of anonymity, as he had not been authorized to divulge the reason for the president’s failure to make the visit.
The aide added: “Mr. President very much wanted to visit Chibok in solidarity with the parents of the missing schoolgirls, but a security report came up that he would have been killed.”
Mr. Jonathan’s botched visit to Chibok occurred barely 17 hours after some Nigerian soldiers staged a mutiny at a military barracks in the volatile state of Borno. An investigation by SaharaReporters, published yesterday, detailed serious complaints by soldiers who claim that they are poorly equipped for the war against a much better armed Boko Haram. Numerous soldiers based in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe States also complained that their allowances were not paid when due, that their commanding officers are more interested in pocketing the country’s lavish security budget, and that their dead colleagues are hurriedly buried in shallow graves, often without informing the deceased soldiers’ families.
The presidential source who spoke to us disclosed that Mr. Jonathan plans to change some of his top security personnel as early as tomorrow. Some of the president’s associates believe that the dreaded Islamist sect may have infiltrated the inner circle of the president’s security team as well as Mr. Jonathan’s personal guards.
Mr. Jonathan is currently in Paris, France where he is attending a high-powered security summit on Africa. He is expected back in Abuja later today.
Meanwhile, in a show of its growing confidence and military muscle, Boko Haram fired a rocket bomb at Soye village near the town of Bama, Borno State in the early hours of today. Unconfirmed reports stated that scores of people lost their lives in the rocket attack. Bama is one of the worst hit communities by the Boko Haram attacks in Borno State.
In a recent investigative report, SaharaReporters disclosed that Boko Haram captured numerous army vehicles in a February 13, 2014 siege on the Nigerian army base in Izge, Borno State. One of the trucks captured by the insurgents contained 200 rocket bombs. It is unclear whether one of those bombs was used in today’s rocket attack on Bama.
Link

Leave a Reply